Some users may receive the following error messages during the EPSON Scan setup for their scanner or All-In-One:
"Could not copy files. Check the setup disc, then run setup again."
"An error occurred during setup. Restart your computer, then run setup again."
This error occurs because there is not enough free contiguous space in the local user account's Temp folder. If you are experiencing this issue, there is a simple solution to the problem which will allow you to complete the installation of the required software.
The Temp folder is used as a temporary location for the scanner setup files to be copied to during the EPSON Scan installation so the files are readily available to complete the installation of the scanner when it is powered on, attached and detected by Windows.
As the Temp folder is always used, this can occur both when installing from the CD-ROM and from a downloaded EPSON Scan file.
To resolve the issue we recommend that you empty the local Temp folder in Windows, as follows:
- Open Computer and check that 'Show hidden files and folders' is enabled in Organise > Folder and Search Options > View > Advanced Settings.
- Open Computer from the Desktop or via the start menu.
- Click on Organise from the toolbar near the top of the window, then click on 'Folder and Search Options'.
- A window appears. Click on the View tab.
- On this tab, look in the Advanced settings section and locate the heading 'Files and Folders' then the sub-heading 'Hidden files and folders'.
- Under this heading, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is selected.
- If you have made changes, click Apply then OK.
- Browse to the following location: C:\Users\(yourusernamefolder)\Appdata\Local\Temp and delete the contents of the Temp folder.
- Still in Computer, open the local hard drive - this is usually the (C:) drive.
- Open the Users folder then open the folder that has your Windows username on it.
- Open the Appdata folder.
- Open the Local folder, followed by the Temp folder.
- Click on Organise, then select Select All from the menu. This will highlight the entire contents of the Temp folder.
- With the files highlighted, delete the files from this folder. Either press the Delete key on your keyboard or right-click on one of the highlighted files and left-click Delete. Click OK to the 'Confirm File Delete' prompt.
- Once all the items have been deleted, close all the windows and empty the Recycle Bin.
- Attempt to install EPSON Scan and any other software that you may require.
- If the installation is successful, restart the computer to complete the installation.
- When the computer has restarted, test the installation by opening Epson Scan from the Desktop shortcut or from start > All Programs > EPSON Scan. See the following Related Article for instructions: How to perform a basic scan with EPSON Scan
- Should the installation fail again with the error "Could not copy files..", move to Steps 5-7 for further troubleshooting.
- Return to the C:\Users\(yourusernamefolder)\Appdata\Local\Temp folder and rename Setup.exe to Setup.old.
In order to view and edit file extensions, you must uncheck the setting 'Hide extensions for known file types'. This is located under Advanced Settings in the View tab of Folder and Search Options.
- Close the folder.
- Run the EPSON Scan installation again. You can install EPSON Scan from your product's Drivers & Software listing on the Epson support website, or from Epson software CD (if it contains software compatible with the version of Windows running on your computer).
- If the EPSON Scan installation is successful, go back to the \Local\Temp folder and rename the file Setup.old to Setup.exe.
Back to Top