Using the tractor in the pull position is ideal for printing on thick and heavy continuous paper, such as multipart forms or continuous paper with labels. Because thick paper requires a straight paper path to avoid paper jams, you should load paper in the bottom slot when using the pull tractor.
When loading paper from the bottom slot, be sure to use a printer stand, table or desk with an opening large enough for the paper to feed under and through the printer without obstruction.
The printer is shipped with the tractor unit installed in the rear push position. To use the tractor unit in the pull position, you must first remove the paper tension unit, then remove the tractor unit from its current position and install it in the pull position.
- Make sure the printer is turned off and remove any paper left in the printer.
- Remove the rear paper guide by lifting it up and off the printer.
- Remove the printer cover:
- Open the cover.
- Pull it stright up from the upper case and off the printer.
- Remove the paper tension unit:
- Press the tabs on each side of the paper tension unit.
- Push them backwards to release it.
- Lift the unit up and out of the printer.
- To remove the tractor unit from the printer:
- Press the tractor's lock tabs, located on each side of the unit.
- Tilt the tractor up and towards you.
- Lift it out of the printer.
- Insert the tractor into the platen cover frame.
- Press down both ends of the tractor to make sure it is firmly seated and locked in.
- Set the paper lever release to the pull tractor position.
- Set the paper lever thickness to the correct thickness depending on the thickness of the paper you are using.
- Insert the paper into the bottom slot of the printer until it has emerged past the ribbon/print head.
- Then pull up the paper from the top, until the perforation between the first and second pages is aligned with the top of the printer's ribbon.
- Release the left and right sprockets by pulling the blue sprocket lock levers forward.
- Slide the left sprocket approximately 12mm *(0.5 inch) from the far left position and pull the blue lever backward to lock it in place. Then slide the right sprocket to match the width of your paper, but do not lock it.
- Make sure your paper has a clean, straight edge. Then open both sprocket covers and fit first four holes of the paper, with printable side up, over the tractor pins.
- Close the sprocket covers.
- Slide the right sprocket to remove any slack in the paper then lock it in place by pushing the sprocket lock down.
- Make sure the paper guide is lying flat on the printer
- Slide the edge guides to the middle of the paper guide.
- Attach the printer cover by inserting the front tabs into the slots on the printer, then lowering the cover into place. Then close the paper guide cover and ensure that all covers are closed.
- Power on the printer.
- When the printer receives the data it automatically loads the paper and starts printing.
Positioning the continuous paper supply:
Before using continuous paper, make sure you line up your paper supply with the tractor feeder as show below, so that the paper feeds smoothly into the printer.
Back to Top